The current town of Jubrique has its origins in times of Arab domination. The name may have its origin in luber, which means place of plenty, or, perhaps, in lubar, which means place of radiance. Jubrique, like the other municipalities of the Serrania, lived its last days in the Nazari Kingdom of Granada at the expense of the fate of the city of Ronda. After the conquest of Ronda, in 1485, and especially after the deportation of the Moors from 1570, the depopulation was especially cruel with this town that came to lose up to three population centers; Rotilla, Benamedá and Monarda.
In the 18th century the first clear reference of Jubrique appears, citing it as Jubrique la Nueva, which could suggest that the town as we know it today may be the result of the union of the four cities in a new location, after the repopulation with people from other lands.
Jubrique is a place to research without any hurry, to learn how to see, with only one visit you can´t appreciate the beauty that Jubrique hides.
Taking the road that joins Jubrique with its neighbor Algatocín we can get closer to the Genal river. We can leave the car next to the bridge and walk along some of the roads along the river. the vegetation is amazing and the waters are crystal clear. In summer pools are formed in which we can take a bath.
If we go on the road, we will wake up senses that we have a sleep, where slaps of smells, colors and sounds link with the strong changes of vegetation.
With luck in one of our breaks we can enjoy the presence of mountain goats, roe deer, wild boar, foxes, rabbits, hares, partridges, among many others.
- Corner of Algatocín street
- Viewpoint of the Enchanted Rock
- Plaza de Andalucía de Jubrique
- San Francisco de Asís Church
- Santa Cruz de la Llanada
- Viewpoint de la Era de la Llaná
- Fountain of Armonia
- Ermita del Chorrillo
- Ermita del Castañuelo